Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
Not your average pot pie. Simple to make and good for left overs. DH and DS gave rave reviews, I even got an "Its delicious" which is music to my ears. Feel free to use any left over veggies you may have, works well with corn, green beans, peas and carrots. My version of this is NOT diet. : - )
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons bacon grease
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 2 cups mashed potatoes
- 1 egg
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 1 medium potato, cubed
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1⁄2 cup green beans (leftovers)
- 1⁄2 cup peas (leftovers)
- 1⁄2 cup flour (approx)
- salt and pepper
- season salt
- Saute med potato and carrot in bacon grease until slightly softened but not cooked through.
- Add onion, cook until soft.
- Dissolve bullion in 1 1/2 cup water and add to veggies.
- Add any leftover veggies.
- Saute cubed chicken, add to veggie/broth mix.
- Keep mixture on low heat.
- In another pan melt 2 tbsp butter and slowly mix in flour until a roux is made, cook for 1 minutes, stirring constantly. (will look like yellow paste)
- Slowly add in 1 cup milk stirring constantly until well blended and thickened, making a cream sauce.
- Add cream sauce to veggie/chicken/broth mix and stir well, turn heat to medium and simmer for about 2 minutes, adding salt and pepper and seasonings to taste. Remove from heat.
- In a med mixing bowl combine mashed potatoes, egg and 2 tbsp of butter until well blended. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Spoon veggie chicken filling into individual casserole or pie tins, can even be made in a full size casserole.
- Spread mashed potato mixture evenly on top, potatoes can be cold.
- Place on foil lined baking sheet and bake for 20-25 minutes at 425°F until tops are golden brown.