Recipe by happynana
This is a recipe from Rachel Ray's web site. The next time I make it I am going to add more flavor to the mashed potatoes such as sour cream or cheese. It was a very nice meal and we enjoyed it.
Top Review by Pneuma
I thought I reviewed this already. lol Loved the lemon taste of the chicken and having delicious mashed potatoes inside it was so good, it's like having a one dish meal. There were extra mashed potatoes from here so we had it as a side dish too. Yummy! Thanks, happynana! Reviewed for recipe swap #16
- 2 baking potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks (8 ounces each)
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 lemon, grated peel and reserve the juice from lemon
- salt and pepper (for extra flavor I would recommend a tablespoon of sour cream or small amount of shredded cheese)
- 4 bone-in chicken breast halves (about 3.5 pounds total)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped flat leaf parsley
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a medium saucepan, bring potatoes and enough cold water to cover to a boil. Simmer until potatoes are fork tender, about 15 minutes.
- Drain and return potatoes to pan.
- Add milk, 2 tablespooons butter, and lemon peel. Mash until smooth. Can add other seasonings if desired.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Transfer potatoes to a work surface, flatten into an even round and cut into quarters.
- Run your fingers under the skin of each chicken breast to separate it from the meat.
- Place one quarter of the potatoes unter the skin, gently pressing to evenly distribute.
- Place stuffed chicken breasts in a roasting pan. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Bake until tender and juices run clear, about 40 minutes.
- Transfer to chicken to a plate. Stir lemon juice, parsley and remaining butter into the pan juices, scraping any borwned bits from the bottom. Spoon sauce over the chicken and serve.