Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is from the Southern Saratoga Women's Club cookbook.
- 473.18 ml sifted all-purpose flour
- 24.64 ml unsweetened cocoa
- 9.85 ml baking powder
- 4.92 ml cinnamon
- 2.46 ml salt
- 2.46 ml clove
- 236.59 ml butter or 236.59 ml margarine, softened
- 473.18 ml sugar
- 236.59 ml mashed potatoes
- 4 egg yolks, slightly beaten
- 4 egg whites
- 236.59 ml coarsely chopped pecans
- 236.59 ml raisins
- 177.44 ml maraschino cherry, drained and coarsely chopped
- 177.44 ml butter
- 354.88 ml brown sugar, packed
- 59.14 ml milk
- 354.88 ml confectioners' sugar
- 4.92 ml vanilla extract
- 8 pecan halves
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Grease and flour two 9-inch layer pans.
- Sift flour with cocoa, baking powder, cinnamon, salt and cloves.
- In large bowl, with mixer at medium speed, beat butter with sugar, potato, and egg yolks until light and fluffy.
- At low speed, gradually beat in flour mixture.
- At hight speed, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form.
- With whisk or rubber scraper, fold egg whites into flour mixture.
- Stir in nuts, raisins and cherries.
- Turn into pans.
- Bake 40 minutes.
- Let stand 1 minute before turning out to cool.
- For Caramel Frosting:.
- Melt butter in medium saucepan.
- Remove from heat.
- Add brown sugar, stirring until smooth.
- Over low heat, bring to boiling, stirring.
- Boil, stirring one minute.
- Remove from heat.
- Add milk.
- Over low heat, return just to boiling.
- Remove from heat and cool to 100°F on candy thermometer.
- (Bottom of pan will feel lukewarm.).
- To cool quickly, set pan in ice cubes.
- Gradually add confectioners sugar.
- Beat at low speed until blended inches.
- Beat at high speed until frosting holds its shape - about 30 to 60 seconds.
- Add vanilla.
- Spread half on bottom layer of cake, letting it drip down sides.
- Place second layer on cake.
- Spread remaining frosting, allowing it to drip down sides.
- Swirl top of cake with back of spoon.
- Arrange pecans on top of cake.