Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
I don't know where this recipe originated, but it has been an old stand by on my mom's dinner party tables for years. It actually bakes up to look quite impressive. Please don't try to substitute fresh mashed potatoes (believe me I have tried) the instant box stuff provides the perfect texture.
- instant mashed potatoes
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese or 1⁄2 cup romano cheese
- 1 1⁄4 cups mozzarella cheese (divided)
- Make mashed potatoes according to package directions for 7-8 servings.
- Stir garlic powder, eggs, Parmesan and one cup of the mozzarella into prepared potatoes.
- Pile mixture into a 9-inch deep dish pie plate.
- Sprinkle top with 1/4 cup of mozzarella and a sprinkle of paprika for color.
- Bake at 350°F until golden on top and puffy about 45 minutes.
Confession #1 -- I did not make this recipe. I bought the ingredients, and I "observed", but my daughter Adiya and her friend Chana made this yesterday afternoon. Adiya decided to add some pizza seasoning (that's what it says on the jar). Confession #2 -- There was about a 1/3 of the pie left over after Adiya and 3 of her friends finished eating. Around 11 PM I got the nibblies, and polished the whole thing off in about 8 minutes. Confession #3 -- if you use a disposable 9 inch pie dish, there is minimal clean-up! Next time we're going to add lots more mozzarella cheese on top, since people tend to get very violent when fighting over the crust!
Great simple recipe Richard...thank you! As is always the way with me, I had to add some fresh minced garlic as well, this one's a keeper and you are correct, it makes for a great presentation too!
Richard this was wonderful. I added plenty of salt, pepper and a little greek seasoning to the potatoes for some spiciness. The pie had a great creamy texture and lovely cheesy taste. It looked beautiful too. Thanks to you and your mom for sharing this.