Recipe by Richard-NYC
I don't know where this recipe originated, but it has been an old stand by on my mom's dinner party tables for years. It actually bakes up to look quite impressive. Please don't try to substitute fresh mashed potatoes (believe me I have tried) the instant box stuff provides the perfect texture.
Top Review by Mirj
Confession #1 -- I did not make this recipe. I bought the ingredients, and I "observed", but my daughter Adiya and her friend Chana made this yesterday afternoon. Adiya decided to add some pizza seasoning (that's what it says on the jar). Confession #2 -- There was about a 1/3 of the pie left over after Adiya and 3 of her friends finished eating. Around 11 PM I got the nibblies, and polished the whole thing off in about 8 minutes. Confession #3 -- if you use a disposable 9 inch pie dish, there is minimal clean-up! Next time we're going to add lots more mozzarella cheese on top, since people tend to get very violent when fighting over the crust!
- instant mashed potatoes
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese or 1⁄2 cup romano cheese
- 1 1⁄4 cups mozzarella cheese (divided)
Directions See How It's Made
- Make mashed potatoes according to package directions for 7-8 servings.
- Stir garlic powder, eggs, Parmesan and one cup of the mozzarella into prepared potatoes.
- Pile mixture into a 9-inch deep dish pie plate.
- Sprinkle top with 1/4 cup of mozzarella and a sprinkle of paprika for color.
- Bake at 350°F until golden on top and puffy about 45 minutes.