I don't know where this recipe originated, but it has been an old stand by on my mom's dinner party tables for years. It actually bakes up to look quite impressive. Please don't try to substitute fresh mashed potatoes (believe me I have tried) the instant box stuff provides the perfect texture.
- Make mashed potatoes according to package directions for 7-8 servings.
- Stir garlic powder, eggs, Parmesan and one cup of the mozzarella into prepared potatoes.
- Pile mixture into a 9-inch deep dish pie plate.
- Sprinkle top with 1/4 cup of mozzarella and a sprinkle of paprika for color.
- Bake at 350°F until golden on top and puffy about 45 minutes.