Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
I used leftover roasted garlic mashed potatoes use your favorite. This has texture, creaminess and richness from the cheeses and potatoes. Tiny chucks of veggies. The Solemio noodles that I used are fresh and consist of 8 wide noodles 2 per layer so adjust if using different brand. This lasagna has 4 layers of noodles. I just dip the fresh noodle to remove some starch and soften lightly. If not using fresh do follow the package directions.Served with Aromatic Herbed Bread Filled With Prosciutto
- 12 1⁄2 ounces fresh lasagna noodles (cook according to directed on package if not using fresh)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 4 large garlic cloves, minced
- 2 large carrots, fine dice
- 2 large celery ribs, thinly sliced
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 (28 ounce) cans crushed tomatoes
- 2 eggs
- 4 ounces mozzarella cheese, cubed
- 12 ounces mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ricotta cheese
- 1⁄4 cup romano cheese, grated
- nutmeg, fresh grated to taste
- 1 1⁄2 cups leftover mashed potatoes
- 4 ounces mozzarella cheese, sliced
- 1⁄8 cup romano cheese, grated
- Preheat oven to 350 degree.
- Boil a large pot of salted water, set aside for noodles.
- Heat oil in large heavy pot.
- Saute vegetables for 10 minutes.
- Add the canned tomatoes and herbs bring to a boil then reduce and simmer for 30 minutes stirring often.
- Cheese mixture:.
- Mix all cheese ingredients together,set aside.
- In a 9x13 casserole dish place 1 cup of the sauce in bottom of dish.
- Take 2 of the noodles dip into the water and shake to remove water and place over the sauce on bottom of pan; spread with 1 cup of cheese mixture; follow with 1/2 cup mashed potatoes; then 1 cup sauce.
- Repeat step #10 for two more layers.
- Place the last two noodles on top spread remaining cheese mixture on noodles; arrange the sliced mozzarella cheese on top of the cheese mixture; top with remaining sauce; sprinkle with grated cheese.
- Bake lightly covered with foil for 30 minutes uncover and bake 15-20 more minutes. Let rest 15 minutes before slicing.
Oh my goodness! This is to die for! Due to local unavailability, I had to sub the ricotta with 1/2 cream cheese and 1/2 chunky cottage cheese and subbed the romano with a local hard goat's cheese. I used fresh oregano as I had it on hand and also found that I needed more mash than stated. I'd like to try it next time with the garlicky mashed potato you suggested. Could only do two layers as didn't have a deep enough dish - but this recipe is SO delicious, I'm going to buy a deep dish just for this. Thank you for a wonderful recipe.
This is a fun lasagna variation! I added a bit of chopped spinach in with the potatoes, but otherwise made as written. The mashed potatoes are a tasty addition without standing out too strongly. Thanks for posting!
What a great recipe. I found I used more potato than called but this just made the layer a little thicker. I also used canned spaghetti sauce as I was rushed for time. This was easy and very flavourful. Thanks for the recipe