Recipe by Rita~
I used leftover roasted garlic mashed potatoes use your favorite. This has texture, creaminess and richness from the cheeses and potatoes. Tiny chucks of veggies. The Solemio noodles that I used are fresh and consist of 8 wide noodles 2 per layer so adjust if using different brand. This lasagna has 4 layers of noodles. I just dip the fresh noodle to remove some starch and soften lightly. If not using fresh do follow the package directions.Served with Aromatic Herbed Bread Filled With Prosciutto
Top Review by Shazzie
Oh my goodness! This is to die for! Due to local unavailability, I had to sub the ricotta with 1/2 cream cheese and 1/2 chunky cottage cheese and subbed the romano with a local hard goat's cheese. I used fresh oregano as I had it on hand and also found that I needed more mash than stated. I'd like to try it next time with the garlicky mashed potato you suggested. Could only do two layers as didn't have a deep enough dish - but this recipe is SO delicious, I'm going to buy a deep dish just for this. Thank you for a wonderful recipe.
- 12 1⁄2 ounces fresh lasagna noodles (cook according to directed on package if not using fresh)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 4 large garlic cloves, minced
- 2 large carrots, fine dice
- 2 large celery ribs, thinly sliced
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 (28 ounce) cans crushed tomatoes
- 2 eggs
- 4 ounces mozzarella cheese, cubed
- 12 ounces mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ricotta cheese
- 1⁄4 cup romano cheese, grated
- nutmeg, fresh grated to taste
- 1 1⁄2 cups leftover mashed potatoes
- 4 ounces mozzarella cheese, sliced
- 1⁄8 cup romano cheese, grated
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degree.
- Boil a large pot of salted water, set aside for noodles.
- Heat oil in large heavy pot.
- Saute vegetables for 10 minutes.
- Add the canned tomatoes and herbs bring to a boil then reduce and simmer for 30 minutes stirring often.
- Cheese mixture:.
- Mix all cheese ingredients together,set aside.
- In a 9x13 casserole dish place 1 cup of the sauce in bottom of dish.
- Take 2 of the noodles dip into the water and shake to remove water and place over the sauce on bottom of pan; spread with 1 cup of cheese mixture; follow with 1/2 cup mashed potatoes; then 1 cup sauce.
- Repeat step #10 for two more layers.
- Place the last two noodles on top spread remaining cheese mixture on noodles; arrange the sliced mozzarella cheese on top of the cheese mixture; top with remaining sauce; sprinkle with grated cheese.
- Bake lightly covered with foil for 30 minutes uncover and bake 15-20 more minutes. Let rest 15 minutes before slicing.