1/1 Photo of Mashed Potato & Gravy - Barefoot Contessa - Ina Garten
Cristina Barry's Note:
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For Mashed Potatoes
- 1360.77 g white boiling potatoes, peeled and quartered
- kosher salt
- 113.39 g unsalted butter
- 118.29-236.59 ml half-and-half
- 118.29 ml sour cream
- 2.46 ml fresh ground black pepper
- 1For Mashed Potatoes:.
- 2Cook the potatoes in a large pot of boiling salted water for 15 to 20 minutes, until very tender.
- 3Meanwhile, heat the butter and half-and-half in a small saucepan.
- 4Drain the potatoes.
- 5While still hot, place the potatoes in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment.
- 6With the mixer on low speed, slowly add the hot half-and-half mixture, the sour cream, 2 teaspoons salt, and the pepper.
- 7Mix until the potatoes are mashed but not completely smooth.
- 8Serve hot with gravy on the side.
- 9For Gravy:.
- 10In a large (10- to 12-inch) sauté pan, cook the butter and onions on medium-low heat for 12 to 15 minutes, until the onions are lightly browned.
- 11Don't rush this step; it makes all the difference when the onions are well cooked.
- 12Sprinkle the flour into the pan, whisk in, then add the salt and pepper.
- 13Cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
- 14Add the hot chicken stock and Cognac, and cook uncovered for 4 to 5 minutes, until thickened.
- 15Add the cream, if desired, and serve.
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mashed Potato & Gravy - Barefoot Contessa - Ina Garten
Serving Size: 1 (441 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 601.4
- Calories from Fat 344
- Total Fat 38.3 g
- Saturated Fat 23.7 g
- Cholesterol 99.6 mg
- Sodium 438.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 58.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.8 g
- Sugars 5.0 g
- Protein 8.7 g