Prep 45 mins
Cook 30 mins
This recipe comes from member Laurielee of the CL Bulletin Board. I have not made this yet but it sounds so good we've decided to put it on our Family Christmas Buffet menu in 2009. Her notes say: "Although Yukon gold potatoes give this cheesy gratin extra buttery flavor and color, russets also will work."
- 4 lbs yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 2-inch chunks
- 1 cup Fontina cheese, shredded and divided
- 3⁄4 cup gruyere cheese, shredded and divided
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 cup warm 1% low-fat milk (100 to 110 )
- cooking spray
- Place potatoes in a large Dutch oven. Cover with water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes or until tender; drain. Return potatoes to pan. Add 3/4 cup fontina cheese, 1/2 cup Gruyère cheese, butter, salt, and freshly ground black pepper to pan; mash with a fork or potato masher until well combined. Add warm milk to pan; continue mashing potato mixture until desired consistency. Spoon into a 13 x 9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray; sprinkle evenly with remaining 1/4 cup fontina cheese and remaining 1/4 cup Gruyère cheese. Cover with aluminum foil lightly sprayed with cooking spray. Bake at 400° for 20 minutes. Remove from oven; remove and discard foil.
- Preheat broiler.
- Broil gratin 5 minutes or until cheese is brown and bubbly.