Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
not sure what the original name of this recipe is but we have called it mashed potato goop since we were little kids growing up in a Slavic family and that's kinda what it looks like when it's done.It is a mixture of ground beef, onions(optional), creamed corn,and mashed potatoes.
- Finely slice and dice onion.
- Cut (and peel if desired) potatoes.
- Add potatoes to boiling pot of water. let boil for 12-15 minutes.
- While potatoes are cooking add onion to large frying pan and crumble ground beef into pan.brown the meat/onion combination on medium to medium/low heat. ( DO NOT drain grease from meat) then, once meat is browned, lower heat to low and stir in the creamed corn .
- Once potatoes are done, drain them and return to pot. add splash of milk and half stick of butter and blend with mixer till smooth.( should not be soupy but should not be too thick as to not be spreadable).
- Now place the ground beef/creamed corn/onion mixture into a 9 by 13 inch pan then spread mashed potatoes over top of mixture (like icing a cake) with a spatula.
- Bake in oven at 375 degrees for about 45 minutes (peaks of the mashed potatoes will lightly brown at the peaks and beef/corn mixture will bubble up around edges of pan).
I made a slight change in the ground beef, in that I use 1 1/2 pounds of the beef & 1/2 pound of mild Italian sausage, crumbled & mixed into the beef! Other than that, I followed the recipe right on down, & had a very tasty main dish that was part of my one-time contribution to a local group that helps feed the homeless! Thanks for sharing the recipe! [Made & reviewed for one of my adoptees in this fall's round of Pick A Chef]