Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
These are the foolproof garlic mashed potatoes that everyone loves. This recipe appeared in a 2002 Sunset Magazine article. If the potatoes are done early, cover and keep warm in a 200 degree oven.
- 7 lbs russet potatoes
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled
- 6 tablespoons butter, cut into small chunks
- 3⁄4-1 cup whipping cream, heated until steaming
- white pepper
- In an 8 to 10-quart pan over high heat, bring 1 1/2 quarts of water to a boil.
- Peel potatoes and cut into 1-inch chunks.
- Add potatoes and garlic to boiling water; cover and return to a boil, then reduce heat to medium and simmer until potatoes mash easily, 12 to 15 minutes.
- Drain and pour into the bowl of heavy-duty-electric mixer fitted with a wire whisk, or return to pan.
- Add butter and 1/2 cup cream. Beat with electric mixer on medium speed, or by hand with a heavy-duty whisk, just until smooth.
- If mixture is stiffer than you like, beat in more cream until potatoes reach desired consistency.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. Scrape into serving bowl.
Wonderfully rich and creamy mashed potatoes! Loved everything about them.....not sure why, but I think the whipping cream must have given them some extra body, because they really held their shape. Really loved them! Thanks for sharing. Made for Holiday Tag!
We LOVE whipped taters! I usually just mash them for the sake of time, so it was special to serve them whipped, and they were delicious. So creamy and fluffy, and the garlic was subtle enough for those who are not garlic-crazed. (We are crazed, so next time I will add even more!) Yummy and super easy, thanks, CaliforniaJan, I will make these often. ZWT9
Love the garlic in these! Nice mashed potatoes with a good, rich flavor!