These are the foolproof garlic mashed potatoes that everyone loves. This recipe appeared in a 2002 Sunset Magazine article. If the potatoes are done early, cover and keep warm in a 200 degree oven.
- In an 8 to 10-quart pan over high heat, bring 1 1/2 quarts of water to a boil.
- Peel potatoes and cut into 1-inch chunks.
- Add potatoes and garlic to boiling water; cover and return to a boil, then reduce heat to medium and simmer until potatoes mash easily, 12 to 15 minutes.
- Drain and pour into the bowl of heavy-duty-electric mixer fitted with a wire whisk, or return to pan.
- Add butter and 1/2 cup cream. Beat with electric mixer on medium speed, or by hand with a heavy-duty whisk, just until smooth.
- If mixture is stiffer than you like, beat in more cream until potatoes reach desired consistency.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. Scrape into serving bowl.