1/1 Photo of Mashed Potato Chocolate Cake
mary winecoff's Note:
I have not tried this recipe but was given this by a co-worker with a suggestion that I might need to try it "hint hint". So I have posted it so I will not lose it. It is supposed to be an extremely moist cake and I plan to use some of the instant mashed potatoes to make it. Update: I have made this cake and it is a very dense cake. Almost like a big brownie. My co-workers loved it but this is not a light, fluffy cake.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup mashed potatoes, hot and unseasoned
- 1 cup water, lukewarm
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
- 3/4 cup unsweetened Dutch-processed cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons instant coffee granules (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips (optional)
- 2/3 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 4 large eggs
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour a 13 by 9 inch baking pan.
- 2Place mashed potatoes into medium bowl. With a whisk, gradually stir in water to form a smooth mixture, do not beat mixture excessively. Cool to lukewarm.
- 3Sift flour, cocoa powder, coffee granules, baking soda and salt. Place chocolate chips in small bowl with about 1 Tablespoon of the sifted dry ingredients and stir well until chips are coated. Set aside.
- 4In a large bowl, combine butter, sugar and vanilla. Beat 2 minutes at medium speed. Add eggs, 2 at a time, beating in at a low speed until blended. Increase mixer speed to medium; beat 1 minute.
- 5At lowest speed, add sifted dry ingredients in 3 additions and mashed potato-water mixture in two additions, beginning and ending with dry ingredients and beating after each addition just until blended. Batter may still appear curdled after all ingredients have ben added -- this is okay. Remove bowl from mixer.
- 6Fold in chocolate chips.
- 7Turn batter in prepared pan. Bake 27 to 32 minutes. Sift confectioners' sugar over top just before serving.
Browse Our Top Low In... Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Low In... Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mashed Potato Chocolate Cake
Serving Size: 1 (141 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 346.9
- Calories from Fat 115
- Total Fat 12.8 g
- Saturated Fat 7.5 g
- Cholesterol 89.4 mg
- Sodium 145.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 55.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.6 g
- Sugars 33.7 g
- Protein 5.7 g