Recipe by mary winecoff
I have not tried this recipe but was given this by a co-worker with a suggestion that I might need to try it "hint hint". So I have posted it so I will not lose it. It is supposed to be an extremely moist cake and I plan to use some of the instant mashed potatoes to make it. Update: I have made this cake and it is a very dense cake. Almost like a big brownie. My co-workers loved it but this is not a light, fluffy cake.
Top Review by cakeworks
This cake is UNBELIEVABLE!!!! Sooooooooo MOIST! I'm a professional cake decorator. I had customers who wanted a very moist, fudgey cake and boy, did this ever fit the bill. It's perfect!
- 1 cup mashed potatoes, hot and unseasoned
- 1 cup water, lukewarm
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
- 3⁄4 cup unsweetened Dutch-processed cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons instant coffee granules (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips (optional)
- 2⁄3 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 4 large eggs
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour a 13 by 9 inch baking pan.
- Place mashed potatoes into medium bowl. With a whisk, gradually stir in water to form a smooth mixture, do not beat mixture excessively. Cool to lukewarm.
- Sift flour, cocoa powder, coffee granules, baking soda and salt. Place chocolate chips in small bowl with about 1 Tablespoon of the sifted dry ingredients and stir well until chips are coated. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine butter, sugar and vanilla. Beat 2 minutes at medium speed. Add eggs, 2 at a time, beating in at a low speed until blended. Increase mixer speed to medium; beat 1 minute.
- At lowest speed, add sifted dry ingredients in 3 additions and mashed potato-water mixture in two additions, beginning and ending with dry ingredients and beating after each addition just until blended. Batter may still appear curdled after all ingredients have ben added -- this is okay. Remove bowl from mixer.
- Fold in chocolate chips.
- Turn batter in prepared pan. Bake 27 to 32 minutes. Sift confectioners' sugar over top just before serving.