Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is a family favorite. It's simple and can be made ahead. I like to add a lot of pepper and sometimes roasted garlic. From Bon Appetit.
- 3 1⁄2 lbs russet potatoes
- 8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1⁄2 cup whole milk
- 1 tablespoon butter, chilled
- 3⁄4 cup fresh chives, chopped (about 3 bunches)
- 1 tablespoon butter, chilled, cut into small pieces
- Butter a 6 to 8-cup ovenproof dish.
- Cook potatoes in large pot of boiling salted water until tender, about 12 minutes.
- Drain potatoes; return to same pot.
- Add cream cheese and mash well.
- Mix in sour cream and milk, then chives.
- Season potatoes with salt and pepper.
- Spoon potatoes into prepared dish; dot with chilled butter.
- (Can be made 2 hours ahead; let stand at room temperature.).
- Preheat oven to 375°F
- Bake potatoes until heated through and beginning to brown on top, about 30 minutes.
Oh wow, what an oustanding potato gratin!!!! YUM, YUM, YUM!!!! I luved the simplicity of making this and the spectacular taste it had. The mash was very creamy with a lovely chives flavour and baking resulted in a very yummy crust. Mmmm, Ill surely make this again maybe playing with other flavour variations (such as nutmeg and cheese or paprika). THANK YOU SO MUCH for sharing this outstanding recipe with us, lazyme! Made and reviewed by recommendation of gertc96 June 2010.
These were outstanding..... The only problem I had was my fault.... I didn't boil the potatoes enough and they were a little dry.... All my fault.... The flavors blended so well and the whole family loved them..... Thanks so much for sharing.....