Prep 40 mins
Cook 30 mins
A terrific, rich, potato casserole that goes well with any meat and is a wonderful addition to the holiday menu.
- 8 -9 medium potatoes
- 1⁄2 cup margarine or 1⁄2 cup butter
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 (3 ounce) cans sliced mushrooms, drained,liquid reserved
- 1 cup sour cream (can use light)
- salt and pepper
- Peel and boil potatoes.
- Saute onion in the butter slowly, until onions are soft and yellow.
- Add drained mushrooms to onions and cook two more minutes.
- Remove mushroom and onions from skillet with slotted spoon.
- Mash potatoes with milk, reserved mushroom liquid, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Beat butter remaining in skillet into the potatoes.
- In 9x13 casserole, spread thin layer (1/3) of the potatoes.
- Next, spread 1/2 of the mushroom mixture.
- Then, 1/2 of the sour cream.
- Repeat layers, ending with remaining 1/3 of potatoes.
- Brush the top with a little melted butter, and sprinkle with paprika.
- Bake at 350 for 20-30 minutes.