Recipe by belkathy
Smooth and creamy. Yum!
Top Review by Mustang Sally 54269
You're right you don't realize there is cabbage in this dish, that's awesome. And, it tasted really good too. I steamed my cabbage but I still found it added quite abit of moisture to the potatoes. You may want to drain your cabbage on paper towel. I didn't have french herb seasoning so made from scratch using recipe #279119. To cut some fat I reduced the cream cheese 1 oz & cheddar cheese 2 oz. My hubby loves mashed potatoes and thoroughly enjoyed this version. Thanks for sharing.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 2 inch pieces
- 4 cups green cabbage, shredded
- 4 ounces low-fat cream cheese, softened and cut into chunks
- 2 tablespoons butter, cut into small pieces
- 1⁄2 cup green onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon bonnes herbs or 1⁄2 teaspoon other french herb seasoning mix
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup cheddar cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 425.
- Place potatoes in a pot and just cover with water.
- Salt a little and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium and let cook for about 20 minutes, or until potatoes are tender.
- Drain and let excess water evaporate.
- Meanwhile, add the cabbage to a new pot of boiling, salted water.
- Let cook for about 6 minutes, until tender.
- Mash potatoes with cream cheese and butter using a potato masher.
- Add salt, pepper, and herbs.
- Fold in the green onions and cabbage.
- Taste and add more salt, pepper, or herbs if desired.
- Transfer potato mixture to a lightly oiled glass casserole dish.
- Sprinkle cheddar on top.
- Bake uncovered for 30 minutes until cheese is lightly browned.