Prep 45 mins
Cook 30 mins
Mashed potatoes without the last-minute hassle... From Cook's Country Dec/Jan 2008
- 4 lbs russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 inch chunks
- 1⁄2 cup half-and-half
- 1⁄2 cup chicken broth
- 12 tablespoons butter
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 4 large eggs
- 1⁄4 cup fresh chives, finely chopped
- Boil potatoes in water to cover by 1 inch until tender. About 20 minutes.
- Heat half-and-half, butter, garlic, mustard, and salt over medium low heat until smooth. About 5 minutes. Remove from heat and keep warm.
- Drain potatoes and transfer to mixing bowl. Mix using an electric mixer on medium-low and slowly add half-and-half mixture until potatoes are smooth and creamy, about 2 minutes.
- Add eggs 1 at a time until mixed well, about another minute.
- Fold in chives.
- Transfer to greased 2-quart baking dish. Make a nice little design in the top of the potatoes with a fork.
- The dish may be covered and refrigerated for up to 24 hours - If so,let it sit at room temp for an hour before continuing.
- Bake at 375 degrees until potatoes begin to brown.
- Cool 10 minutes and serve.
If I could give this 10 stars I would... its our favorite way to serve a small or large crowd. If I am serving this to my small family, I often cut the recipe in half. In my photo, I added a 6-Cheese Italian Blend cheese.
I made this a day ahead for a special Christmas dinner. It was so easy to prepare and everyone raved at how flavorful and fluffy it was. I used a 2.5 qt casserole dish, which was perfect. It was a great side dish to ATK stuffed tenderloin. Great recipes!