Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
Found in 2007 Pillsbury cookbook. What's better than mashed potatoes, French fried onions, and cheese??
- 3 cups water
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 1 cup milk
- 3 cups instant potato flakes
- 8 ounces sour cream
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1⁄3 cup cooked bacon, pieces
- 1 cup French-fried onions
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F. In 3-quart saucepan, heat water and butter to boiling. Boil 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add milk; remove from heat.
- Stir in potato flakes with fork until potatoes are desired consistancy. Stir in sour cream and cheese.
- Spoon into ungreased 13 x 9-inch glass baking dish. Sprinke bacon and onions over top.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until hot.
For "instant" mashed potatoes, these weren't too bad. I enjoyed them much more reheated in the microwave a day later. When I added the cheddar cheese, I added 1-1/2 cups, plus I also added 1/2 cup of HORMEL REAL BACON BITS, and topped the potatoes with 1-1/4 cups of the French fried onions. I baked these potatoes in the oven for exactly 25 minutes, and after I added the French fried onions, I baked them for just 4 minutes, as they do brown quickly. One more thing, after removing potatoes from the oven, I would let them sit for at least 5 minutes, so they can thicken up just a bit, (or your taters will be soupy) and no need to worry about them cooling off too soon, cuz they stay "hot" for quite sometime. Thank you for the recipe!!
I have to tell you I was COMPLETELY BLOWN AWAY with this recipe--why? Because I HATE, DETEST, YUCKY "instant potatoes" BUT NOT ANYMORE!!! At least, not the way "Eat it up" says to prepare 'em!!;o) This is, without a doubt, one of the BEST recipes I've ever tried from the "zaar" site. Taste? WONDERFUL! Easy to prepare? Absolutely! Is it a keeper? Let me put it this way, this baby is now in THE FRONT of my cookbook!! Try it you won't be disappointed..That's a promise! I wonder what adding cream cheese would do to it? Well, maybe not, IT's OFF THE HOOK just the way it is!! Enjoy! RED, Richmond,VA