Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook1 hr 30 mins
A terrific mashed potato casserole. The addition of the baking powder is amazing!
Make and share this Mashed Potato Casserole recipe from Food.com.
- 3 -4 large shallots
- 3⁄4 cup fat-free chicken broth or 3⁄4 cup low-fat chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 5 lbs yukon gold potatoes
- 4 ounces fat free cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- nonstick cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Peel and place shallots in small caserole dish a lid, Coat shallots with olive oil, chicken broth, thyme and garlic powder.
- Cover dish and roast for 40-45 mins in hot oven.
- Set shallots aside in the casserole and reserve the liquid.
- Wash potatoes thoroughly, Peel if desired (We like them skin-on!), Cut potatoes into quarters and boil in large pot until done- about 20 mins, depending on size.
- A few minutes before potatoes are done, scald the 1/2& 1/2 in a small saucepan and set aside, Cut stick of butter in half, Then cut each half into small pats (slices).
- When potatoes are done cooking, drain and return to boiling pot, Mash potatoes dry until they are well broken up, Add roasted shallots and 1/4 cup of the reserved liquid, Whip with a mixer until smooth.
- Add baking powder, fat free cream cheese and 4 TBS butter and enough scalded 1/2 and 1/2 to whip until the mixture is fairly creamy, Salt and pepper to taste.
- Spray non-stick cooking spray onto 13"x9" oven-proof dish.
- Pour in potato mixture and smooth out evenly in dish, Place remaining thinly sliced butter pats on the surface and sprinkle lightly with paprika.
- Bake at 350 degrees until lightly browned on top (about 30-40 minutes).