Prep 35 mins
Cook 15 mins
These are so yummy, great served with stew on top, or just about anything that goes well with mashed potatoes. Note, plan ahead, these need to stay in the freezer until completely frozen, before baking. (preparation time includes boiling the potatoes, not freezing time).
- 4 large potatoes, peeled (about 3 pounds)
- 2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- pepper (optional)
- Cook potatoes with 1 tsp salt in boiling water just to cover (about 25 minutes), or until tender; drain, and cool just to touch.
- Mash the potatoes in a large bowl, using a potato masher.
- Stir in the remaining 1 tsp salt, cream cheese, egg, 2 Tbsp flour, pepper (if using) and the baking powder; mix well until thoroughly combined.
- Spoon the mixture into 6 large mounds on a baking sheet.
- Shape each mound into a 4-inch bowl-like shapes, using the back of a spoon; cover and freeze until firm and frozen (at this point you may keep them in the freezer up to one month until ready to use, just store them in a zip-lock freezer bag).
- When ready to use, remove them from the freezer, and place the potato bowls on a lightly-greased cookie sheet.
- Brush the potato bowls with melted butter (do not thaw), and sprinkle with paprika.
- Bake (frozen) bowls in a 450 degree oven, for 15 minutes, or until thoroughly heated, and lightly browned.
I cannot give a star review. I prepared this and I was hoping to look on past reviews to find my error. I have never had a problem w/ this Chefs recipes in the past. This could my error, I was anticipating for these to puff up and brown. These got hot and semi flattened. Sorry Carol-I served this atop recpe#181846