1 hr 30 mins
I came up with this recipe while trying to use up all of the produce that I received from my co-op, and I was pleased with how they turned out. I love how the outside potato shell gets crunchy. These reheat well in an oven/toaster oven. I like to make half of my potato balls stuffed and half all mixed together. It provides a nice variety.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- 2In a large pot of salted water, boil the potatoes until soft, about 20 minutes.
- 3While the potatoes are boiling, bring another pot of water to boil for the chard and spinach. While water is heating up, chop (or tear) the chard and spinach into small pieces.
- 4When the second pot of water is boiling, add the chard and spinach and boil for 10 minutes.
- 5When the chard and spinach are done, drain and set aside to cool.
- 6The potatoes should be cooked by now so drain the potatoes and mash with the milk and some more salt if desired.
- 7Add the eggs and flour to the mashed potatoes and set aside to make the filling.
- 8Dry the chard and spinach thoroughly and combine in a large bowl with all of the filling ingredients. (I find it is easiest to just mix it with my hands.).
- 9To Stuff:.
- 10Scoop out about two tablespoons of the mashed potato mixture and flatten it out in your hand with a slightly hollowed out part.
- 11Stuff with about two tablespoons of the filling, cover with some more mashed potatoes, and gently shape into a ball. I made mine about 2.5" in diameter.
- 12To Not Stuff:.
- 13Combine the filling with the mashed potatoes.
- 14Scoop out about 4 tablespoons and form into a ball.
- 15Place the mashed potato balls in a 9x13 baking dish, and brush the top with melted butter (you may have to make a partial second batch).
- 16Bake at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for about 40 minutes or until the outside turns brown and crispy and the inside reaches a temperature of at least 160 degrees Fahrenheit.
Browse Our Top Mashed Potatoes Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Mashed Potatoes Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mashed Potato Balls
Serving Size: 1 (232 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 9
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 359.0
- Calories from Fat 187
- Total Fat 20.8 g
- Saturated Fat 11.2 g
- Cholesterol 148.0 mg
- Sodium 645.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 27.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.6 g
- Sugars 1.6 g
- Protein 16.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: