Prep 24 hrs
Cook 45 mins
This is made ahead to save time -- remember to save 1/2 cup cream for the top just before baking and feel free to add in green onions and/or cooked chopped bacon :)
- 5 lbs russet potatoes (peeled and cubed)
- 3⁄4 cup 18% table cream (DIVIDED, or use full-fat milk)
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1 (3 ounce) package cream cheese (softened and cut into chunks)
- salt and pepper
- Place the potatoes in a large saucepan; cover with water then add in 2 teaspoons (or more) salt bring to a boil over high heat, reduce heat to medium and cook potatoes until fork tender (about 15 minutes) drain then place in a large bowl.
- Mash the potatoes with a potato masher or on low speed of an electric mixer adding in ONLY 1/4 cup 18% table cream, butter and cream cheese; mix until smooth and fluffy (about 1-2 minutes).
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Transfer to a 3 or 4-quart casserole dish.
- Cool to almost room temperature then cover and refrigerate up to 24 hours in advance.
- When ready to bake, set oven to 325 degrees.
- Pour 1/2 cup milk over the cold potatoes; cover and bake for about 30 minutes; remove from oven and stir with wooden spoon, return to oven and continue to bake covered for another 15-20 minutes or until thoroughly heated through.
- Sprinkle lightly with paprika if desired.
These were great, nice & creamy. I made them in the morning to heat for tea tonight. I made as directed this time but next time will also add bacon & onion. Thanks!
I made this for Thanksgiving and it delivered--good texture. I don't think I ever used Russet potatoes to mash before. It might have needed just a tad more milk. Next time I think I'll test it with one of those "flavored" cream cheeses. It held up with left overs also--just kept adding a little more milk to soften it up.