Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
Here is a different way to use up those leftover mashed potatoes. This is also a great alternative to traditional mashed potatoes when you are having company.
- 1 large white onion, chopped finely
- 1 -2 tablespoon butter or 1 -2 tablespoon margarine
- 3⁄4 cup half-and-half
- 2 cups mashed potatoes
- 1 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 eggs, separated
- 4 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Melt butter or margarine in a medium-sized non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion and saute until tender and translucent, but do not brown.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the onion, half-and-half, and mashed potatoes. Add salt if potatoes are not salted, and egg yolks.
- Beat potato mixture with an electric mixer until light and fluffy.
- In a separate bowl, beat egg whites with an electric mixer until stiff.
- Fold egg whites into potato mixutre and add the parsley. DO NOT OVER-MIX!
- Bake in a greased casserole or souffle dish for 35 minutes.
- Increase oven temperature to 400 degrees F and bake an additional 5 minutes to brown.