Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
The Parmesan cheese is only optional, I like to sprinkle it on top for an extra crispy topping!
- 7 large russet potatoes, peeled
- 1⁄4 cup melted butter (no substitutions)
- 1 -2 teaspoon seasoning salt (or to taste or use white salt)
- black pepper
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons whipping cream or 2 tablespoons buttermilk
- 1 1⁄2 cups swiss cheese, finely diced
- 1 1⁄2 cups cubed cooked ham
- 3 green onions, finely chopped
- 3 large eggs
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Set oven to 375 degrees.
- Butter a 2-quart casserole dish.
- Cook the potatoes in boiling water until fork-tender; drain and place in a bowl.
- Mash potatoes then add in butter, salt, pepper, pinch nutmeg and whipping cream; mix until well combined.
- Spoon about two-thirds of the potato mixture on the bottom and up the sides of the prepared baking dish; set aside (this can be done up to a day in advance, covered and refrigerated).
- In a bowl combine the shredded swiss cheese, cubed ham and green onions; spoon the mixture into the potato-lined dish.
- In a bowl beat eggs with milk; pour over the ham/cheese mixture.
- Spoon (or pipe) the remaining potato mixture over the top.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese (if using) then paprika.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown.
- Let stand about 10 minutes before serving.