Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
A very easy recipe for a creamy chowder using left over, frozen or pre-made mashed potatoes. For a thicker chowder add some instant mashed potatoes, a little at a time, until desired consistency is reached. I use 1 package Simply Potatoes "Traditional" mashed potatoes For a Seafood Chowder add: 1 lb medium shrimp, Bay Scallops or a combination of both.
- 2 1⁄2 cups mashed potatoes
- 2 cans low sodium kernel corn, undrained
- 5 slices bacon, diced
- 14 ounces low sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup milk (I use 1%, because that what we drink)
- 1⁄4 cup frozen southern seasoning (A blend of onions, bell pepper, celery & thyme)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sea salt
- fresh black pepper, to taste
- In a large pot, over medium heat, whisk potatoes with chicken broth and milk.
- Saute bacon, until just cooked. Not crispy! Then add with remaining ingredients, to potato mixture. Except seafood, if you're going to use it.
- Heat until bubbly.
- If adding seafood, put it in, 10 mins before the chowder is finished. That should allow enough time for the shrimp or scallops to cook, without over cooking.