Recipe by Spinnenkatie
This sweet potato casserole tastes like it has a bit of orange in it (but it doesn't). My aunt made it at Thanksgiving and I rapidly 'borrowed' the recipe! She said she got it from foodnetwork.com.
Top Review by Mia in Germany
My first sweet potato casserole, and it was a huge hit. It didn't taste like it had orange in it but the lemon flavour was quite strong which was excellent. We both love lemon, so we were very happy eaters :) Thanks for sharing!
Made for PAC Fall 2012
- 6 lbs sweet potatoes
- 1 lemon, juice and zest of
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons Bourbon
- 8 tablespoons butter, room temperature
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1⁄2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 pinch ground thyme
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pecans
- 5 tablespoons butter, chilled and chopped to bits
Directions See How It's Made
- Bake whole sweet potatoes for 45 minutes to an hour at 375°F Cool for about 20 minutes.
- Peel potatoes and put them into a large mixing bowl with lemon juice and zest, syrup, and brown sugar.
- In a large sauce pan, heat bourbon on high until boiling. Gently and CAREFULLY, tilt the pan so it catches on fire (to burn off the alcohol). Extinguish.
- Add potatoes to bourbon, along with the butter, salt and pepper.
- Place mixture in a 13x9 inch baking dish. This can be refrigerated for up to 2 days before serving.
- Mix topping ingredients together right before you are ready to serve. Sprinkle on top of dish.
- Bake from 20 minutes at 375°F.