Recipe by Bergy
This is originally from the "How to cook Everything" cookbook by Mark Bittman but I have tweeked it a bit.. It is a really tasty recipe and ever so easy to do once you are at the stage of having the cooked cleaned Fava beans.
- 2 lbs fresh fava beans or 2 cups canned fava beans or 2 cups frozen fava beans
- 3⁄4 lb spinach or 3⁄4 lb collard greens or 3⁄4 lb dandelion greens or 3⁄4 lb escarole or 3⁄4 lb kale or 3⁄4 lb mustard greens, your choice
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons garlic, minced
Directions See How It's Made
- Shuck the fresh beans, put in boiling water for apprx 10 minutes, dash with cold and remove outer membrane from each bean.
- If using frozen check that they are already cooked, if not follow instructions.
- Canned are ready as is, drained.
- Coursely mash the fava beans.
- I used a fork, you do not want to puree them just mash a bit.
- If using Collards for the greens pre boil for 20 minutes, squeeze when cooked to get as much moisture out as possible, coarsely chop.
- With other greens wash them and allow the water to cling to the leaves.
- Coarsely chop.
- Pour half the oil into a skillet using medium heat saute the chopped garlic, stir, cook until it starts to color, apprx 5 minutes.
- Add Favas, stir& heat through.
- Add greens, cover, allow the greens to wilt 3 minutes,and serve.