Recipe by Sharon123
Completely satisfying and tastes great while giving me more than half of my required protein and fiber for the day! You could also serve this alone or pair it with some plain, or toasted, bread to make a great sandwich. You could add in all kinds of other ingredients to this salad like olives, capers, sweet pickle relish, etc...let your imagination be your guide. From Veganista.
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1⁄2 cup celery, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup carrot, diced (I chop carrots and celery in the food processor)
- 1⁄4-1⁄3 cup scallion, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup hummus (or tahini or any vegan mayo works too)
- 1 -2 tablespoon mustard (stoneground or dijon)
- sea salt & cracked pepper, to taste
- 1 dash garlic powder
- 1 lemon, juice of (optional)
- 1 small handful pumpkin seeds (optional)
- paprika, garnish (or smoked paprika)
- 2 -4 slices of your favorite bread
- leafy greens
- 1 avocado, mashed (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Drain and rinse your chickpeas, place in medium size bowl and roughly mash with a fork, potato masher or pastry blender. Add the remaining ingredients and combine. Add more hummus if you like it creamier and taste for seasoning. Serve however you like.
- Store leftovers in an air-tight container in the fridge for up to a week.
- *If you find your hummus is a bit thick, thin it out with a tablespoon or two of water. This will make for a perfect consistency to use as a binder without being overly thick and/or drying as well.
- For sandwich:.
- Layer your bottom slice of bread with leafy greens, add your chickpea salad on top. On the underside of your top slice of bread, add some optional mashed avocado (tomato slices would be great too). Cut in half or eat as is.