Prep 4 mins
Cook 30 mins
A tasty side dish:) its another Native American dish thats used as a side. such as if you make roasted duck it taste good with any bird:)
- 1 1⁄2 lbs butternut squash
- 1⁄4 teaspoon mace
- 1⁄4 teaspoon allspice
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons melted butter
- Cut squash in half, scrape out seeds and fiber. Chunk in 2" pieces.
- Boil or steam (steaming preserves its high amounts of vitamin C and A better) 20 minutes (boil) or 30 (steam) until tender.
- Cool slightly, and slip skin off pieces. Spoon flesh into blender, add remaining ingredients and process till smooth. Goes well with roast birds.
Delicious! I used nutmeg for lack of mace and Earth Balance vegan butter. I cut up the squash and steamed it before using a hand masher to mix it all together. Served it for Thanksgiving and everyone loved it. Next time I might try using my food processor to make it extra creamy.
I made steam vent slits with a knife in the squash and cooked in the microwave. Then opened,seeded and cut the squash in pieces. Fast if you use the microwave and blender. Good taste. I will make again. I added just a little more butter.
Very tastey side dish with Pork Chops (Kotlet Schabowy) #138131. I used 1 Tbs of malitol maple flavored sugar-free syrup and 1 Tbs of butter. I had decided to roast the squash halves in a baking pan filled half with water in a 300 degree oven for about an hour. Worked out great while I was cleaning the house.