Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
This was on Paula's Home Cooking this morning. I will be trying these very soon! sounds easy and delicious.
- 4 cups frozen hash browns
- 1 (7 5/8 ounce) package instant mashed potatoes with butter and herbs
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup shredded monterey jack cheese
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups boiling water
- 2 cups prepared French fried onion rings
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Bring a pot of water to the boil and add the hash browns. Cook for 5 minutes and drain.
- In a large bowl, mix together the cooked hash browns, mashed potato mix, butter, cream cheese, jack cheese, sour cream, garlic salt, salt and pepper. Stir in the boiling water.
- Place in a greased 2-quart casserole dish. Bake for 35 to 45 minutes. Sprinkle the onion rings over the casserole and bake for about 5 to 8 minutes longer until onions are golden brown.
very yummy! i made my mashed potatos similar to this with sour cream, ranch dressing, jack cheese and baked it a few minuets with friend onions on top, and i tought those were good! these kick my potatos up a notch, thanks so much! <3 it!
These are really something special! Great texture and great taste. My whole family loved them. In addition to the french fried onions, I also added some shredded cheddar cheese and already-cooked bacon bits to the top the last few minutes of baking. Absolutely delicious!!
we made this recipe for the last Thanksgiving day dinner and it was a huge hit. i could not find the herb seasoned mashed potatoes, so i just used the regular ones. a new family tradition, thanks for posting and saving me the work.