Prep 35 mins
Cook 40 mins
This Halloween dish is adapted from Cattern Cakes and Lace, p. 112.
- 1 lb potato, peeled, halved if large
- 2 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1 swede, peeled and sliced (rutabaga)
- 2 parsnips, peeled and sliced
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 leeks, thinly sliced (white and lightest green part only)
- 1 cup frozen green pea, thawed
- 2 ounces cheddar cheese, grated (about 3/4 cup)
- 2 ounces parmesan cheese, grated (about 3/4 cup)
- Preheat oven to 350Ëš Fahrenheit. Boil potatoes, carrots, rutabaga and parsnips in well-salted water for about 15-20 minutes, or until potatoes are very tender. Drain vegetables and return to pan. Meanwhile, melt butter in a small skillet over medium heat until foam starts to subside. Add leeks and sauté until leeks are soft and starting to brown.
- Mash the vegetables and then stir in the leeks (and butter), green peas and half the cheese. Stir in salt and pepper to taste then spread mixture in a casserole and top with the remaining cheese. Bake in the middle of the oven 40 minutes, or until cheese is starting to brown.
- If there are only two in your house (like mine), you can put half of the Mash of Nine Sorts (before baking) in an oven-proof refrigerator container for another dinner. I just put it in the oven while the oven comes up to temperature and then set the timer for 40 minutes.