Recipe by pattikay in L.A.
This makes an interesting and tasty alternative for Indian meals (or any other type of meal that strikes your fancy). You can easily control the heat factor by your choice/amount of chiles. From Madhur Jaffrey's Quick and Easy Indian Cooking, posted for ZWT IV
Top Review by juniperwoman
I did not have the right ingredients, so I made a very-much changed version of this recipe. Therefore, I am not rating it. But I do want to say that Garam Masala is an awesome addition to mashed potatoes. Thank you for posting!
- 2 1⁄4 lbs potatoes, peeled and cut into large chunks
- 3⁄4 cup milk, heated (plus more if needed)
- 4 -6 tablespoons butter, cut into pieces
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons salt (or to taste)
- pepper, to taste
- 1 hot green chili pepper, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 pinch cayenne
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons lemon juice
Directions See How It's Made
- Boil the potatoes with water to cover. When tender (after about 15-20 minutes) drain and mash them with the back of a fork or a potato masher.
- Add the hot milk and butter and beat with a whisk or a fork, add more milk if needed for desired consistency.
- Add the remaining ingredients and mix well.
- Serve immediately.