Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
Maschi comes from the Sudan. Posted for ZWT2
- 2 lbs lean ground beef, cooked
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, mashed
- 4 tablespoons fresh dill, chopped
- 1 cup cooked rice
- 12 ounces tomato paste
- 2 (6 ounce) cans water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 8 large firm tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons oil
- green olives
- Combine filling ingredients in large bowl.
- Cut a Slit in 8 large TOMATOES (very firm), halfway across the center.
- Squeeze at the sides to open the slit.
- Scoop out all the flesh from inside of tomatoes with a spoon.
- Refill tomato with beef mixture and close the tomato.
- Melt 2 Tbs. BUTTER and
- 2 Tbs. OIL in a large skillet.
- Saute the tomatoes carefully in the fat, rolling them gently until they become dark red on all sides.
- Remove the tomatoes with the oil and place in a casserole or heavy saucepan.
- Prepare sauce as follows and pour over the tomatoes:
- Combine: 2 6-oz. cans TOMATO PASTE thinned with water add salt, cinnamon and garlic powder.
- Simmer the tomatoes gently over low flame for 10 to 15 minutes until sauce is cooked.
- Remove carefully to a 15-inch round platter.
- Top each with GREEN OLIVES
- If there is more Maschi filling left over after filling the tomatoes place it in a suitable pan and bake it alongside the tomatoes.