Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
A Peter Gordon recipe. I made it last week and it was so delicious! The smell of the spices as they're cooking is amazing! Only problem is if you haven't got a lot of the spices already it can work out a bit expensive - but you will not be disappointed. Makes a 'posh' starter for a dinner party.
- 1 red chile
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 rosemary sprig
- 2 star anise
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 3 cloves
- 2 lemons
- 600 g caster sugar
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 750 ml red wine
- 6 cooking pears
- 250 ml mascarpone cheese
- 200 g gorgonzola
- 1 tablespoon basil
- 1 tablespoon chives
- 1 tablespoon spring onion
- salad leaves
- The salad leaves (for serving) can be anything you want but rocket and lambs lettuce would be nice.
- The mascarpone needs to be at room temperature and the Gorgonzola cut into 2 cm cubes.
- Cut the chill in half.
- Chop the basil, chives and spring onions and put to one side.
- Thinly pare the zest from the two lemons.
- The pears should be firm cooking pears such as Comice.
- Peel the pears but leave the stalks on and keep them whole.
- You will need a saucepan just large enough to hold the pears.
- Put the chili, rosemary, bay leaf, star anise, cinnamon, cloves, lemon zest and juice, sugar, honey and the red wine into the saucepan.
- Bring to the boil then simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the pears to the pan and some water ONLY if needed to just cover the pears, bring back to the boil and simmer for about 40 minutes - or until the pears are cooked.
- When you can easily insert a knife through the pears they are done. The cooking time will depend on the size, how ripe the pears are and the variety of pear.
- The liquid should be a spicy syrup.
- When done, remove the pears with a slotted spoon, place gently on a plate to cool - Not the serving plates at the stage.
- Now gently mix the mascarpone and Gorgonzola together and then stir in the basil, chives and spring onions.
- Arrange some salad leaves on 6 serving plates and place a pear on each.
- Add a spoonful of the cheese and a little of the spicy syrup and serve.