1/2 Photos of Mascarpone, Gorgonzola and Poached Pear Salad
A Peter Gordon recipe. I made it last week and it was so delicious! The smell of the spices as they're cooking is amazing! Only problem is if you haven't got a lot of the spices already it can work out a bit expensive - but you will not be disappointed. Makes a 'posh' starter for a dinner party.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1The salad leaves (for serving) can be anything you want but rocket and lambs lettuce would be nice.
- 2The mascarpone needs to be at room temperature and the Gorgonzola cut into 2 cm cubes.
- 3Cut the chill in half.
- 4Chop the basil, chives and spring onions and put to one side.
- 5Thinly pare the zest from the two lemons.
- 6The pears should be firm cooking pears such as Comice.
- 7Peel the pears but leave the stalks on and keep them whole.
- 8You will need a saucepan just large enough to hold the pears.
- 9Put the chili, rosemary, bay leaf, star anise, cinnamon, cloves, lemon zest and juice, sugar, honey and the red wine into the saucepan.
- 10Bring to the boil then simmer for 5 minutes.
- 11Add the pears to the pan and some water ONLY if needed to just cover the pears, bring back to the boil and simmer for about 40 minutes - or until the pears are cooked.
- 12When you can easily insert a knife through the pears they are done. The cooking time will depend on the size, how ripe the pears are and the variety of pear.
- 13The liquid should be a spicy syrup.
- 14When done, remove the pears with a slotted spoon, place gently on a plate to cool - Not the serving plates at the stage.
- 15Now gently mix the mascarpone and Gorgonzola together and then stir in the basil, chives and spring onions.
- 16Arrange some salad leaves on 6 serving plates and place a pear on each.
- 17Add a spoonful of the cheese and a little of the spicy syrup and serve.
Browse Our Top Cheese Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Cheese Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mascarpone, Gorgonzola and Poached Pear Salad
Serving Size: 1 (295 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 651.5
- Calories from Fat 87
- Total Fat 9.7 g
- Saturated Fat 6.2 g
- Cholesterol 25.0 mg
- Sodium 472.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 117.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.8 g
- Sugars 109.8 g
- Protein 7.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: