Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is Giada's recipe and they are the lightest cupcakes ever. The glaze is really good because it is not too heavy like most frostings. Very easy to make and addicting to eat! She made them using mini muffin tins but I used the regular sized ones and they came out great
- 8 ounces mascarpone cheese, softened (about 1 cup)
- 2 egg whites
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 (18 ounce) box white cake mix
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄3 cup frozen strawberries, thawed and drained
- 2 1⁄2 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line the tins with paper liners.
- In a large bowl combine the mascarpone cheese, egg whites and vegetable oil. Using a hand mixer, beat the ingredients until combined and creamy. Add the cake mix and water and mix until smooth, about 3 minutes. Fill the cups to just below the rim and bake until puffed and golden, about 18 to 20 minutes. Remove from the oven, let cool slightly in the tin then transfer the cupcakes to a wire rack.
- Meanwhile, puree the strawberries in a blender or small food processor. Place the powdered sugar in a medium bowl. Pour in the strawberry puree and whisk until smooth. Top the cooled cupcakes with the strawberry glaze. Let the cupcakes sit for a few minutes for the glaze to firm up, then serve.
I've been using this recipe for a while and was going to post it, but here it is! These are always requested for birthdays. I prefer to use standard size muffin tins. This causes the moist, rich cake to collapse in the middle... Which is a good thing! It allows the glaze to pool in the center; so while the outside hardens, the inside stays nice and gooey. (I didn't think I would like it, but I do!)
I have made these a few times and every says they are the best cupcakes they have ever had... They really are soooo good.