Prep 45 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
This is the best cheesecake I have ever made or eaten! I think the mascarpone is key and the balsamic strawberries is a must. It elevates this cheesecake to a different level. Recipe is from Wente Vineyards Restaurant in Livermore, California.
- 1 1⁄2 cups ground crumbs from purchased almond biscotti (about 6 ounces)
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 2 lbs cream cheese, room temperature
- 8 ounces mascarpone cheese
- 1 3⁄4 cups sugar, plus
- 2 tablespoons sugar, divided use
- 2 large eggs
- 3 cups quartered hulled strawberries
- 1⁄4 cup balsamic vinegar
- Tightly wrap outside of a 9-inch-diameter springform pan with 2 3/4-inch-high sides with 2 layers of heavy-duty foil.
- Mix biscotti crumbs and butter in bowl.
- Press mixture evenly onto bottom (not sides) of prepared pan.
- Chill 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Using electric mixer, beat cream cheese, mascarpone and 1 1/4 cups sugar in large bowl until smooth.
- Add eggs 1 at a time; beat just until blended.
- Spread cheese mixture evenly over crust in pan.
- Place springform pan in large roasting pan.
- Pour enough hot water into roasting pan to come halfway up sides of springform pan.
- Bake until cheesecake is golden and center of cake moves only slightly when pan is shaken, about 1 hour 10 minutes.
- Transfer cake to rack; cool 1 hour.
- Chill overnight.
- (Cake can be made 2 days ahead. Cover and keep chilled. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before serving.) Mix strawberries, 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar and vinegar in large bowl.
- Let stand at room temperature until juices form, about 30 minutes.
- Cut cake into wedges.
- Spoon strawberries alongside and serve.
What can I say? I am a Home Economics Teacher (Food & Technology) and found this cheesecake recipe on this website some time ago. A few modifications e.g use of Splenda instead of sugar and I have made it a standard that I make when I have to bring a dessert. The balsamic strawberries on the side are truly magnificent and make this recipe unique.