Prep 15 mins
Cook 3 hrs
Ice-cream alternative using mascarpone cheese instead of cream. Unlike traditional custard based ice-creams, this one doesn't need any cooking. It is so simple to do, my 10 year old daughter Lauren can more or less make it herself. :)
- 4 eggs, separated
- 500 g mascarpone cheese
- 3 tablespoons sugar or 3 tablespoons sugar substitute
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pinch salt
- Whip the egg whites into soft peaks with a pinch of salt.
- In another bowl whisk the egg yolks, sugar and vanilla for a few minutes, then add the mascarpone cheese.
- When the cheese and egg yolks are fully mixed together, add one table spoon of the egg whites and stir this in with a metal spoon.
- Add the cheese mixture to the egg whites and stir in carefully, trying not to knock out the air from the beaten egg whites.
- Then pour the mixture into a nice, freezer proof bowl and put into the freezer for 3 to 4 hours. The mixture shouldn’t be too hard, so don’t leave it in the freezer for longer than this – good excuse to eat it asap really! :).