Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
This "chocolate soup" is really "grown-up" hot chocolate. Just remember the liqueur if you are going to share this with the kids. This recipe is courtesy of Emeril Lagasse, 2004.
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup milk chocolate chips
- 1⁄4 cup coffee-flavored liqueur (Kahlua, Sabra)
- 3 tablespoons cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 3 tablespoons mascarpone cheese
- 8 slices brioche bread or 8 slices challah, cut into 1/3-inch slices
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter or 4 tablespoons margarine, at room temperature
- Combine the cream and milk in a heavy, medium saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium heat.
- Add the chocolate and cook, whisking constantly, until smooth, about 4 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and add liqueur.
- Cover to keep warm.
- Combine the cream cheese and honey in a small bowl and mix until well blended.
- Fold in the mascarpone.
- Spread the mixture on 4 slices of the bread and top with the remaining bread.
- Spread 1-1/2 teaspoons of the butter, on each side of the sandwich.
- Heat a medium skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the sandwiches 1 at a time and cook until golden brown, 1-1/2 to 2 minutes per side.
- Remove and repeat with the remaining sandwiches.
- Cut each sandwich into 4 traingles.
- To serve, ladle the soup into 4 shallow bowls and top each with 1 quartered sandwich.
- Serve at once.