Prep 45 mins
Cook 35 mins
With a granola crust and mascarpone cheese topping, this is not your ordinary apple pie. A cool, creamy slice is the perfect ending to a holiday meal (or any other meal!). I actually use homemade granola instead of crushed granola bars :-)
- 2 cups crushed oat and honey granola bars
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 7 large cooking apples, peeled and sliced
- 8 ounces mascarpone cheese (or substitute softened cream cheese)
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons Amaretto or 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup whipping cream
- Combine all crust ingredients and press on bottom and sides of greased 9-inch pie plate.
- Bake crust 10 minutes at 350 degrees, and cool on rack.
- For filling, melt 2 T butter over medium heat in large skillet; stir in brown sugar, lemon juice, and cinnamon.
- Stir in apples and cook uncovered over medium heat for 25 minutes (or until apples are very tender), stirring occasionally.
- When finished cooking apple mixture, cool 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, beat cheese, sugar, and amaretto with electric mixer on medium speed for 30 seconds, until light and fluffy.
- In separate bowl beat whipping cream until soft peaks form, and beat into cheese mixture on low speed until combined.
- Alternate layers of apple and cheese mixtures in crust, making four layers and ending with the cheese mixture.
- Cover loosely and chill at least 4 hours/up to 24 hours.