Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
The mascarpone makes this rich and creamy without needing to fuss with a roux.
- 453.59 g elbow macaroni
- 29.58 ml unsalted butter
- 118.29 ml heavy cream (35% butterfat)
- 226.79 g mascarpone
- 226.79 g cheddar cheese, grated
- salt, to taste
- ground black pepper, to taste
- hot sauce (optional)
- Prepare macaroni according to package directions.
- While pasta cooks, melt butter in a large pot. Add cream and bring to a simmer. Add mascarpone and stir until melted and smooth. Add salt, pepper, hot sauce (if using) and cheddar; stir until melted and smooth.
- Drain pasta, reserving some of the pasta cooking water. Add hot pasta to cheese sauce and stir until coated. If it seems too thick, add pasta water, 1 tbsp at a time, until desired consistency achieved. Serve at once.