Recipe by Hadice
While Masaman Curry is commonly served with beef, I love the texture tofu adds to this spicy-sweet dish. You can use any protein you like, other common meats are chicken or shrimp. I use Mae Ploy Masaman Curry found at Asian grocery stores or higher-end grocery stores. Why spend $9+ on a single serving when you can make it at home for cheap and feed an army? I love this dish! Just typing the word 'curry' makes my mouth water. As an authentic alternative to sugar and lime juice use 1 T. sugar and 1 T. tamarind juice
Top Review by Green.Chef
This was great. I could not find masaman curry paste, so I used another curry paste. As a result this recipe did not taste *just* like the masaman curry I'm used to getting at my favorite Thai place. Next time I am going to make my own and see how that turns out.
- 14 ounces tofu, fried and cubed
- 1 (14 ounce) can coconut milk
- 2 -4 tablespoons masaman curry paste
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄2 small yellow onion, diced
- 2 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1 medium potato, peeled and cubed
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted dry roasted peanuts
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
Directions See How It's Made
- In a saucepan, stir fry curry paste with half the can of coconut milk until combined. Add remaining coconut milk and heat until boiling.
- Add remaining ingredients (except sugar and lime juice) and cook until potatoes and carrot soften and start to absorb flavors. About 20 minutes.
- Remove bay leaves and cinnamon stick, add sugar and lime juice and gently stir until combined.
- Serve over jasmine rice and top with crushed peanuts.
- *Note: For a variation try one small potato and one small sweet potato.