Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 45 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
From Thia Cooking and More.
Make and share this Masaman Curry Beef recipe from Food.com.
- masaman curry paste (try Masaman Curry Paste)
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 1 medium onion, cut into strips
- 1 1⁄2 lbs boneless beef chuck, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 (14 ounce) can unsweetened coconut milk
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 lbs potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 large bell pepper, cut into strips
- 1⁄2 cup roasted peanuts, chopped
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1⁄4 cup slivered fresh basil or 1⁄4 cup fresh cilantro
- hot cooked rice
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet or wok over medium high heat.
- Add onion and stir-fry about 6 minutes until golden; transfer to a bowl with a slotted spoon.
- Add another tablespoon to the skillet or wok; increase heat to high.
- Add half the beef; stir-fry 2 to 3 minutes until browned on all sides; transfer to another bowl and set aside.
- Repeat with remaining beef adding another tablespoon of oil to prevent sticking if necessary.
- Reduce heat to medium; add remaining tablespoon of oil and the curry paste to the skillet or wok; stir and cook 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add coconut milk and fish sauce; stir to scrape up bits of cooked meat and spices from the bottom of the pan.
- Return beef to wok; bring to boil; reduce heat, cover and simmer for 45 minutes.
- Add onions and potatoes to the meat; cook 35 to 45 minutes more or until meat and potatoes are tender.
- Stir in bell pepper; cook until heated through.
- Stir in peanuts and lime juice.
- Sprinkle with basil or cilantro.
- Serve with rice.