Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
An Indian influenced Thai curry with very complex flavors.
Make and share this Masaman Curry recipe from Food.com.
- Peel and cut up potatoes into big chunks, 1" x 1" x 1".
- Cut up beef and onion into the same size. You can substitute chicken or lamb for beef, if you like.
- Heat coconut milk and masaman curry paste in a pot over medium to low heat and stir. Break up the paste and mix well with coconut milk. Stir constantly to keep the mixture from sticking.
- When you see the red oil bubbling up (about 5 minutes), add the meat and stir to cover the meat with curry. Add half a cup of water or enough to cover all the meat.
- Add the rest of the ingredients, except for potatoes, onions and peanuts.
- Stew for 1/2 hour or until beef is getting tender.
- Add potatoes, onions and peanuts.
- Let simmer for 20 minutes more. The liquid should be reduced and you should be able to see some chunks. But, if the liquid is very low, add more water.
- Serve hot with "Cold Cucumber in Vinegar", which is: 1/3 cup water, 1/3 cup vinegar, 1/4 cup sugar, 2 shallots (thinly sliced), 1 cucumber (quartered and thinly sliced), 1 long hot pepper (sliced), all tossed together, and chilled.
- However, if you're not up for making this quick little salad, just serve over rice, or eat it by itself.