Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr
This recipe is great if you're watching your weight because the chops cook in their own fat - no ghee, oil or butter. My sister says you can even cook these in a slow cooker. They are really easy and taste delicious! Cooking time will depend on how thick your chops are.
- 1 1⁄4 kg spring lamb chops
- 175 g onions, roughly chopped
- 120 g tomatoes, chopped
- 50 g ginger paste
- 50 g garlic paste
- 225 g yoghurt, whisked
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder (less if yours is very strong)
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds, ground (I roast them first)
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 2 tablespoons ginger
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Cut the ginger for the garnish into fine juliennes and immediately marinate in the lemon juice until the chops are ready to be served.
- Put all ingredients, except cumin, garam masala and the garnish, in a pan, bring to the boil, cover and simmer until the chops are tender.
- Remove the chops and keep aside.
- Fry the remaining masala (mixture) until half the liquid has evaporated;Add the cumin, stir for a minute and return the chops to the pan, simmering for 3 minutes.
- Sprinkle garam masala and stir, adjusting the seasoning.
- To serve, arrange the chops on a flat dish, spread the masala on top, garnish with marinated ginger juliennes and serve with roti.