Recipe by Mrs. Danger_horse
An Indian friend gave this recipe to me, and it makes very interesting finger food for parties, BBQ's, etc--also gluten free, which is great! Adjust the seasonings to taste--it's pretty flexible! Cooking time does not include soaking time.
- 2 cups channa dal
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fennel
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 small red chile (or to taste)
- 1 small diced onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped coriander
Minted Yoghurt Sauce
- 200 ml Greek yogurt
- 3 tablespoons chopped mint leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon minced garlic
Directions See How It's Made
- Soak the channa dhal for a minimum of two hours, or preferably overnight, in plenty of water.
- Grind or blend the fennel seed, garlic, salt and fresh chili together until a paste forms.
- Grind or blend the dhal with a little water, until it is of a consistency that clumps. Add the other ingredients.
- Deep fry the balls in oil until they are golden brown and cooked through.
- Serve with minted yoghurt sauce.
- Minted Yoghurt Sauce:.
- Mix the mint leaves and garlic with yoghurt, stirring until the yoghurt becomes of a soft pouring consistency.