Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
From "Oprah" magazine, March 2007.
Make and share this Masala-Spiced Chickpeas recipe from Food.com.
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1⁄4 cup oil
- 2 cups finely chopped onions
- 2 (15 ounce) cans chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- To make masala, mix spices until blended and set aside.
- Heat oil over med-high heat. Add onions and saute until light brown, 8-10minutes. Add masala; stir 1 minute or until spices are fragrant.
- Stir in chickpeaks, pepper, salt and 1 T. water. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly for 7 minutes or until the first few chickpeas begin to split. It it becomes dry, add some water. Only add 1 T. at a time. It should be moist but not saucy.
- Remove from heat. Stir in lemon juice and garnish with cilantro.
- This would be so great scooped up in poori.
Nice and simple, great with rice! It has a very good flavor. Thanks for sharing! ZWT8
I just wanted to add my 5 stars to this delicious recipe!
Spice it up a little more if you like, but it's perfect the way it's written. It's my go-to side dish when asked to friends house for pot-luck dinners. You'll never any left overs with this one. Enjoy!
I loved this. I cheated a bit and used premixed Garam Masala since there's a huge jar of it in the cupboard. The rest of the recipe was prepared exactly as written. Thanks for posting this delicious veggie main course. Made for Photo Tag.