Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
A regular tiffin recipe from a Gulf News Cookery Book
- 2 cups basmati rice
- 2 large potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1⁄2 cup frozen garden peas
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 2 -3 green chilies, deseeded and chopped
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garam masala powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ginger, paste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic paste
- 2 tablespoons yoghurt
- 2 -3 cardamoms
- 3 tablespoons oil
- Wash and soak rice for around 1/2 an hour.
- In the meanwhile, cut the vegetables.
- Mix the spice powders and yogurt together in a bowl.
- Heat oil.
- Saute the onion till light brown.
- Add the ginger, garlic and green chilli and saute till brown.
- Add the spice paste and saute for 5 mins more.
- Add some water if needed to avoid burning.
- Add the potatoes, peas and rice saute for few mins.
- Add 4 cups water and bring to a boil.
- Stir and cover with a lid and cook on low till cooked.
- Garnish with coriander and fried cashew nuts.
I halved this recipe and made this rice for dinner last night and it was so good, so aromatic once ready and on the table and just so tasty and nice to eat with yogurt, we just loved it! I served this to dad when he got home, tired from his flight from Oman to Orlando, and I have to tell you, he liked it very much:)The only changes I made in the recipe were to use chopped ginger and garlic instead of making the paste and I tossed in cumin seeds and allowed them to crackle in the oil, instead of using cumin powder. My only worry during the cooking process was: Will the potatoes cook or remain raw? However, they cooked beautifully and without a problem! Thank you very much for a nice dinner and a good recipe! Will make this again for sure:-)!
i loved the flavor of this but my basmati tuned out a bit mushy. i did not need to add extra water, and i continued to cook the dish without the lid in hopes of drying it out a bit, but it didn't happen. that being said, the flavor was great.
This recipe is just awesome. This is such a dish tastes good without a side dish. Its ideal when some guests visit your house unexpectedly and also in situations when you have to prepare something to carry it to the office in short time span. I would thank the person whom so ever who has posted such a delicious recipe reducing the time taken as well.