Recipe by PaulaG
I found this recipe in "1000 Indian, Chinese, Thai and Asian" Cookbook. It is a very delicious way to spice up okra. This is a great side dish to serve with a curry and poppadums.
Top Review by Dienia B.
a friend gave me some okra and as i was processing the thought crossed my mind india so im trying the spice im liking it this will be good this winter . use the lemon juice it makes a difference zaar tour 8
- 1 lb okra pods, no more than 4 inch in length
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh coriander
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black mustard seeds
- 1 -2 medium tomatoes, diced
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash okra and carefully remove the stem taking care not to cut into the pod. Cutting into the pod will cause the okra to release the sticky juices which will have an affect on the finished dish.
- Combine the turmeric through coriander and set aside. In a heavy skillet heat the oil and add in the cumin and black mustard seeds. Fry for about 2 minutes or until the seeds begin to sputter. Scrape in the reserved spice mixture and fry for 2 minutes or until fragrant.
- Add in okra, tossing to coat with spices. Cover the pan and cook on low heat for 10 minutes or until tender. Turn off heat and stir in diced tomatoes, serve.