Recipe by Girl from India
A pickled style of preparing mackerels (can be baked too for a change. I got this recipe from my mom and comes from Mangalorean cuisine. Very tasty and the only preparation of mackerel I could be persuaded to eat. (I have changed now and relish the fish in any form)
- 8 medium mackerel
- 8 red chilies (tone it down if you don't like spicy food)
Grind the following with
- 3 tablespoons vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
- 1⁄2 teaspoon peppercorn
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ajwain seed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1 tablespoon tamarind pulp
- 3 cloves garlic, with skin
- 3 -4 medium onions
- 3 -4 split green chilies
- 1 inch ginger, chopped
- 2 tablespoons oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Clean and wash makerels.
- Make three slits that go almost to the bone on either side.
- Marinate them in the ground masala for an hour atleast.
- Take a broad heavy bottomed vessel or a mud pot.
- Heat oil.
- Fry sliced onions till golded brown.
- Add the slit green chillies and ginger.
- Take out half of this mixture and keep aside.
- Now lay out the fish in a line.
- Top with the onions set aside.
- Cook for 1/2 an hour shaking the pot from time to time.
- Note: Turn the fish over in 15 mins if possible.