Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
From Easy Indian-style Cookery. Serve garnished with lemon wedges and cilantro. Cook time doesn’t include 6 hours marinating time. This is best prepared a day ahead. Store covered, in refrigerator. Freeze uncooked marinated chicken. Not suitable for the microwave.
- 2 teaspoons coriander seeds
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cardamom seed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon hot chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon water
- 8 chicken drumsticks (1.2kg)
- Crush coriander, cumin, and cardamom seeds in grinder or with mortar & pestle.
- Toss seeds and remaining spices in a dry frying pan; stir over heat until fragrant. Remove from heat. Add oil and water, stir until combined.
- Cut diagonal slits about 1cm apart, through to the bones, on both sides of drumsticks.
- Rub spice mixture all over the drumsticks, place in shallow dish; cover, refrigerate 6 hours or overnight.
- Heat oiled griddle pan and cook drumsticks until browned and cooked through. Can also be barbecued or grilled.
The only change to the recipe I made was to oven roast them in a foil lined pan but otherwise followed through as per recip; at 175C for 45 minutes which produced moist chicken drumsticks and the flavour was good but something was lacking and as I write this review I think I may have been better to have baked them on a rack rather than a pan and maybe have got a slighly crispy result in the skin, it may have just made the difference but would certainly recommend for an easy quick recipe if you have prep work done. Thank you merswaydees, made for Aussie/Kiwi Recipe Swap #69 October 2012,